Our objective is to support the programs of Salem Home
From the beginning, Salem Foundation’s objective has been to support the programs of Salem Home, including the enhancement of Pastoral Care, Palliative Care, and Volunteer Program.
Salem Foundation Inc. was founded in 1998 by the Mennonite Churches of Winkler and the surrounding area.
In the compassion and spirit of Christ’s love, Salem Foundation is dedicated to raising funds to ensure that Salem Home is able to achieve its Vision of being a Centre of Excellence in Long Term Care within the context of the Anabaptist faith. We aim to provide the residents of Salem Home with the best possible lived experience.
The cross is made up of thirteen circles to represent the thirteen churches that support the Foundation. Gold is associated with wisdom, understanding and enlightenment. It also represents generosity and giving, compassion and love. The perspective of the cross makes it seem as though you are looking up at it from below. This is to show growth in the Foundation and a reminder to keep looking ahead at new opportunities and trusting God to provide.
Personal Characteristics include
- an ability to listen,
- think clearly and creatively,
- and work well with people individually and in a group.
- be willing to prepare for and attend board meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment,
- contribute personal time and financial resources according to circumstances,
- open doors in the community, and evaluate oneself.
- be willing to develop skills if not already possessed such as reading and understanding financial statements, conflict resolution, and program areas of the organization.
- possess honesty, sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, a friendly, responsive and patient approach, community-building skills, personal integrity, and a developed sense of Christ’s values, visioning, and a sense of humour.
Meeting and Time Commitment
The Foundation Board meets as needed to conduct its business, on average once per month. Meetings are approximately one to one and a-half hour in length. Meeting information is provided in advance for members to review in order to respect members. Board members are asked to serve for a period of three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of three consecutive terms, pending approval at the Annual General Meeting of the Corporation.
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of Salem Foundation
- Know and respect the distinction in the roles of Board and staff consistent with the principles underlying the governance principles
- Exercise the same degree of care, diligence and skill that a reasonably prudent person would show in comparable circumstances.
- Exercise vigilance for, and declare any apparent or real personal conflict of interest in accordance with the organization’s By-Laws and policies.
- Exercise due diligence in the performance of the board members duties.
**Each Trustee will sign a statement of confidentiality agreement prior to their first meeting